Just a collection of my thoughts or links to other thoughts on architecture and design.

Monday, November 17, 2008

Working out of the Box: WSDIA | WeShouldDoItAll

from archinect:

Working out of the Box is a series of features presenting architects who have applied their architecture backgrounds to alternative career paths. Are you an architect working out of the box? Do you know of someone that has changed careers and has an interesting story to share? If you would like to suggest an (ex-)architect, please send us a message.

Archinect: Where did you study architecture? 

Jonathan Jackson: I studied architecture at Kent State University in Ohio. I am grateful for attending Kent. It was a very technical school but there was select few students who wanted to really push their individual boundaries there, but also the school's as well. I graduated in 2003 with the idea to work as an architect in Italy (wanted to work for Studio Archea, where I did my first internship), London (wanted to work for Adjaye Assoc.) or New York (numerous studios). image

↑ Click image to enlarge
New Practices New York 2008 Exhibition, photos by Floto+Warner (Click on this and all of the images to get a detailed view)

  image

↑ Click image to enlarge
New Practices New York 2008 Exhibition, photos by Floto+Warner

   At what point in your life did you decide to pursue architecture? I knew at the very early age of 12 that I wanted to be an architect. By my 3rd year in architecture, my outlook changed and I wanted to be a more general term...a designer.

Get the Flash Player to see this video.

Video for New Practices New York 2008 Exhibition

When did you decide to stop pursuing architecture? Why? I haven't stopped pursuing architecture, I am just taking another route. A slower route. Discovering other types of design/concepts that we can later interject into architecture. My love for architecture has never weakened. It is the ultimate form of design in my opinion. My cause for my delay...is the goal to be well balanced, to develop other skills.

image

↑ Click image to enlarge
Website for photography agency, Marilyn Cadenbach

   Describe your current profession. WSDIA is simply our constant goal. Our studio is interested in creating graphics, products, furniture, interiors and eventually architecture. It's a studio ran by 3 people, myself, my partner in crime & cousin, Jared Seavers, and my home-girl, Sarah Nelson. The beef of our work has been graphic design and exhibitions. We are slowly drifting into wayfinding/signage. We hope more and larger exhibitions and signage will lead to interiors into small scale architecture.

image

↑ Click image to enlarge
Lecture poster for Kent State Univ.'s architecture program using actual 3D letters. Shot by Mastromatteo+Steen

  image

↑ Click image to enlarge
Lecture poster for Kent State Univ.'s architecture program using actual 3D letters. Shot by Mastromatteo+Steen

   What skills did you gain from architecture school, or working in the architecture industry, that have contributed to your success in your current career? Architecture school is the highest test for anyone who wants to be a designer/creator. It's an incredible test of your love for this profession, and you don't love it...architecture school will definitely weed you out. The most appreciated skill I gained from Kent's program was being able to communicate my ideas about concepts and ideas through heavy critique. This tool is vital for our studio in expressing our designs to our clients. Being able to critique your own and other's work, and being able to take criticism, is something I am proud of. image

↑ Click image to enlarge
The Park at the Center of the World: Five Visions for Governors Island Exhibition, photos by Floto+Warner

   image

↑ Click image to enlarge
Official Website for The Park at the Center of the World: Five Visions for Governors Island Exhibition

Do you have an interest in returning to architecture? Definitely! But in a very slow migrative way. Thank you Archinect! Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.


No comments: